KILT announces the launch of web3name, an application for creating a custom name to represent users’ digital identity. The new approach would increase the transparency of users’ identities without sacrificing the privacy involved with personal data.
- KILT, a blockchain identity protocol based on the Polkadot network, issues a new form of digital credentials, Web3name(w3n), for users to represent their own digital identities. The credentials recorded on the distributed ledgers will be permanent addresses users can access anytime on the Polkadot ecosystem, as stated in the announcement.
- Web3name is unlike a decentralized identifier embodied as a unique string of numbers and letters. Instead, it could be translated as simple letters like ingo, doso, etc. Using SocialKYC, an attestation service built on KILT, users can create credentials linking to their own email accounts or GitHub, Discord, Twitter, and others.
- According to KILT’s prior announcement, SocialKYC would not get users’ personal information stored in any centralized data center.
“Unlike sign-in processes on the internet to date, SocialKYC then forgets about the user and the credential as soon as the credential is issued. The credential, the personal information, and the control remain with the user.”
- The team considers W3n as an enhancement of how digital identities are processed on the blockchain. W3n doesn’t replace a wallet address but supplements it. One w3n can connect to several addresses. Though only one w3n links to one identity, one may create several identities – work identity, collator identity, and gaming identity – with a different w3name for each, which could also link to traditional media platforms.
- To collators and validators, in particular, they can link their w3n to any of the addresses they choose, in a way that they can be recognized through their names rather than a string of numbers and letters typically identified as blockchain addresses.
Binance Free $100 (Exclusive): Use this link to register and receive $100 free and 10% off fees on Binance Futures first month (terms).
PrimeXBT Special Offer: Use this link to register & enter POTATO50 code to receive up to $7,000 on your deposits.