The Long Read
We examine the litigation strategies behind a number of successful multiple-seller counterfeiting cases.
Monday 22 November
Time is running out to nominate this year’s in-house trademark stars. Access our short survey form to submit your nominations now.
Microsoft soars as tech brands continue their upwards march in the latest WTR Brand Elite results.
- General Court considers likelihood of confusion between ‘Süzme Peynir’ marks (European Union)
- Evidence of targeting is key under the UDRP (International)
Tuesday 23 November
Unilever sells its tea brands for $5 billion, Zeeger Vink is elected 2022 INTA president, a dispute between OBS Project and Streamlabs goes viral, and much more.
Representatives of the Patent Office of Latvia reveal how the agency is developing its digital tools and services for trademark users.
- MONSTER ENERGY case: what’s in a coffee? (European Union)
- Amendments to Criminal Procedure Code set to facilitate criminal enforcement of industrial property rights (Vietnam)
Wednesday 24 November
The USPTO has amended its rules of practice in trademark cases to implement provisions of the Trademark Modernisation Act 2020; a guest analysis explores what has changed.
The Bored Ape Yacht Club has lawyers scratching their heads over what native intellectual property in the NFT space means for the future of IP rights.
- Keeping trademarks ‘fresh’: the onus is on the opponent (Australia)
- Nissan v EUIPO: General Court rules that E-POWER and VDL E-POWER are not confusingly similar (European Union)
Thursday 25 November
National director Loreto Bresky reveals how the Chilean National Institute of Industrial Property is recovering after last year’s devastating arson attacks.
The IP offices of the Czech Republic, Ireland and Slovenia announce new measures amid rising covid-19 cases.
WTR discovers how a ‘diploma mill’ in Pakistan led to a trademark scam epidemic.
- AC Milan fails to register AC MILAN mark for stationery (European Union)
- IPEC ruling favours one Archangel over another (United Kingdom)
- The sugarloaf pineapple: GIs as a development tool in action (International report: Africa)
- Case law precedents offer useful guidance for trademark disputes (International report: Russia)
- When refiling is a better option than renewing (International report: Western Balkans)
Friday 26 November
With Monster Beverage Corp reportedly exploring a merger with Constellation Brands, we examined the trademark portfolio of the latter.
GIview celebrating its first birthday, the acquisition of the Autonomy brand, a Lord of the Rings crypto domain being shut down for trading off Tolkien works, and much more, featured in our Friday news digest.
- Pfizer’s opposition against registration of RUXXIMLA partially successful (European Union)
- New Administrative Court of Appeals mandatory precedent on issuance of new resolutions (Peru)
Saturday 27 November
INTA’s new strategic plan makes pragmatic sense when viewed against the backdrop of the pandemic and the need to ensure members see clear ROI on their dues.
WTR Special Report: Managing the brand balance sheet
WTR’s latest Special Report explores the financial treatment of brands and considers how trademark professionals can carve out a new role when servicing clients.